Jun 16, 2008

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...

Last week my doctor called me and placed me on a new medication to help control my blood sugar. Apparently it stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. I take it twice a day - once with breakfast and once with dinner. I was a little bit bummed about it because I really hoped the new "diet" would help control things, but it looks like I need some help.

The first couple of days, things were great. My numbers were well within the range. Then I noticed that the post-dinner levels were creeping up again. Yesterday, 3 of my 4 levels were high (near 140) and I was feeling pretty crappy - sluggish, headache, nauseated. This morning I did my little dipstick test of my urine and found traces of ketones, which means that my body is metabolizing fat instead of carbohydrates. It's a big warning sign that the diabetes is not under control.

I sat down and cried. I feel like I'm failing. I have always been a healthy eater, so following this "diet" hasn't really been that bad. The only thing I really had to cut out of my usual diet was orange juice (and fresh fruit in the morning). I'm not a sweets eater, so avoiding that hasn't been too bad. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I ate well my whole pregnancy. I exercised. I continue to take my prenatal vitamins. I attend all my doctor's visits and get the recommended tests. So why is this whole thing so out of control?

I see my doctor tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully she has some more insight into this situation. I only have about 6 weeks to go...I just hope and pray that he is OK. That's all I care about.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Oh Tracy, it must be so frustrating and scary. I hope all works out and you get this under control. It sounds like you are doing all the right things...it sounds like this is just beyond your control. I will pray that all is well with you and that this works out for you. And I will keep my fingers crossed, you have a short time left in such an important job...good luck!!!