Jul 11, 2007

The Stress Spills Over

Tomorrow is the big day and the stress is starting to spill over into other areas of my life. I can't concentrate at work, I'm not eating very much, and Patrick and I are arguing. We're not even arguing about anything worthwhile, but I'm on edge and near tears and he's just very quiet about his emotions. I know he means well when he says, "There's nothing to worry about." I know this is his way of trying to calm me down and probably deal with his own concern. But I can't help it. I do think there's something to worry about. If there was nothing to worry about I would not be going to the hospital tomorrow.

When I was a sophomore in college, I took a communications class and always remember something my professor told us. Your emotions are like a barrel sitting out in the rain - it can take a very long time for the rain to fill the barrel, but it only takes one drop to make it spill over. I went to the hospital to pick up my x-rays and ultrasound results from last year, and after I signed for them and the woman handed them to me, she said, "Good luck." I walked alone through the parking lot to my car and started to cry. Two words was all it took.

Here's hoping for good results tomorrow afternoon...

1 comment:

Marie said...

Good luck Tracey...I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers today. I am sure all will come out fine, but I know that kind words do not take the fear and apprehension away!