Mar 1, 2007

Warning: Drug-Induced Post

I am recovering from one of the worst migraines I've had in a very long time. It's the kind of migraine where you actually think you might die. I uttered those words to myself today while I was leaving my meeting this afternoon - "I think I'm dying." Believe me, if you've ever had a migraine you know that this is not just a case of me being dramatic. I felt like an ice pick was being driven into the right side of my head and eye over and over and over again - rhythmically. It lasted for 16 hours. Not bad, but my record is 18 hours. That episode required a visit to the ER and an IV in my arm. After that, I also slept for a record of 14 hours straight.

I entertained the idea of going to the ER, but with no one to drive me home, I opted for my own prescriptions, as well as the over-the-counter remedies. Here's a tally of what I ingested:
  • 3 Butalbital (a nice little cocktail of Barbituates, caffeine, and acetaminophen)
  • 1 Relpax (prescription migraine med)
  • 2 Tylenol
  • 1 Excedrin

My neurologist used to let me take as many as 8 Butalbital in one day. According to a friend of mine who is a nurse, these are stronger than Vicodin. The most I've ever had in a 24-hour period is 6. At that point, I am no longer making much sense, but usually still feel the pain. Right now I still feel some pain, but cannot take any more meds. The thought of it makes me feel sick.

My other update is that my father will not get his results until next week. I'm so confused! They told him it would take 7 days, but when he called today they told him it would be 10 days. Of course, I am now thinking the worst. Ironically, I got this pessimistic attitude from my dad.

No comments: