Jan 22, 2007

Good News/Bad News

Well, the good news is that apparently I'm not dying. I also don't have mono. The mono part is true (according to the nurse at my doc's office). The first part is just my anxiety coming out, as I was completely paranoid that I had some form of blood cancer - leukemia, lymphoma, etc. I guess I also got checked for anemia and thyroid problems. After calling the doctor numerous times, and apologizing for calling so often (why do I do that?), I was told that there wasn't anything "too abnormal looking" in my test results. What? I asked her if that meant that there was something a little abnormal looking. She said "no" and apologized for using that expression. I think I know what she meant, but still, do not use that phrase when you're dealing with someone who thinks she might be dying of blood cancer.

That's the good news (in a warped and twisted way). The bad news isn't really bad at all - more like annoying - but "Good News/Annoying News" just doesn't have the same ring to it. The annoying news is that I actually am sick now, with something I can diagnose. It's just a bad cold/cough, but the fact that it fell on my b-day weekend with my family in town really stinks. So I have the typical sore throat, fever, cough, stuffy nose, lack of sleep thing happening. I left work a bit early today because 1) It was really warm in the office, 2) I did not have any more medication on me, and 3) My head was so stuffed up that when I bent down to pick up my pen I thought it would explode - "it" being my head and not the pen.

I'm not sure what was wrong with me those past few weeks, but I can't believe that it was a build-up to a run-of-the-mill head cold. That just doesn't make sense. I guess knowing that there wasn't anything "too abnormal" should make me feel somewhat better.

1 comment:

ACE said...

TE-
glad to hear you are well and not dying of cancer!!

Try a nasal irrigation... REALLY REALLY nasty, but will relieve a lot of the pressure in your head. Mix 1 tsp of salt with 8 oz of warm (not hot!!) water. I usually use a plastic syringe or ear bulb, but a baster works just as well! Over a sink, squirt and inhale water through your nose- breathe it in until you feel it go through your sinus cavity, then spit/snarf it out. Do it in each nostril a few times, usually until you can't stand it anymore, dry yourself off, and gently blow your nose a few times. It's sounds gross (and it is) but you will be surprised at the stuff that comes out of your head! YUCK! But if you do this a few times a day, that sinus problem will clear up in no time, and you'll feel so much better!