Feb 15, 2009

Livin' the high life

It's no secret that I get migraines. I have for years {ten to be exact}. And they can be bad...awful...excruciating. They've sent me to the ER on numerous occasions and at times, when Patrick asks if there's anything he can do, I will tell him that if he really loved me, he'd take a baseball bat to my head. He has yet to take me up on that request.

I see a neurologist and I've been on lots of different meds - Maxalt, Relpax, Amerge, Frova, and Imitrex (pill and nasal spray) just to name a few. I've also been on a low-dose, old-school anti-depressant that apparently can help prevent migraines. No such luck. The only good thing that came from that medicine was that I got lots of good sleep.

The other medication I take is a really strong painkiller. When I wake up with a horrible migraine - like I did this morning - I take one Relpax and one painkiller (because it can take up to two hours for the Relpax to kick in). This morning I didn't get enough relief from that combo, so I was forced to take a second painkiller. Unfortunately, my body has grown used to these meds, so I usually can take them without too many side effects..but every once in a while...

So today I had to go grocery shopping, and let me tell you, I definitely put the "high" in Hy-Vee. I've written about this before, and it is a truly bizarre experience. In a nutshell, I overcompensate. Kind of like when you answer the phone out of a deep sleep and try to convince the person on the other end that you weren't sleeping. It's like that, but funnier.

Anyway, I managed to get everything on my list {aside from tomato soup, but I blame that on a crowded grocery store and not on the drugs}.

No comments: