Mar 19, 2008

My Recent Obsessions

There's no rhyme or reason for any of these obsessions, just things that I can't stop thinking/talking about:

1) Hip Hop Abs - I watch this infomercial whenever it's on (which is usually sometime between 2 AM and 4 AM). I am obsessed with the music and the bouncing movement that is supposed to give you fabulous abs. I don't buy into the guarantee of any of these kinds of DVDs, but I can see from a physiological standpoint how it can help shed fat (through cardio work) and sculpt more toned abs. I lay in bed at night and think, "I can't wait to do Hip Hop Abs." I know full well that it will be many months before I can do this, but it just looks like so much fun. By the way, I may be an infomercial-watching junkie, but I don't buy things from infomericals (aside from my future purchase of this DVD). I dare you to click on the link...you're so gonna' be obsessed...

2) Baby Weight Gain - Why is it that it's OK to ask a pregnant woman how much she weighs? I am constantly comparing myself to other pregnant women when it comes to weight gain and the size of my belly. I have gained a very small amount and was worried that something was wrong with the baby. I know that everything is OK, but it doesn't help when people constantly ask me where my belly is - how could I be so far along and not show? Since my doctor's appointments are still only once a month, I weigh myself once a week to see if I am gaining anything. I am trying to gain steadily, but am not having much luck. My fear is that all of a sudden, I'll gain like 10 pounds in a week, which isn't a good thing. And where is the belly? I mean, I can see that there is a difference when I change clothes, but outwardly, I pretty much look the same. I'm just about to start my 6th month, so I figure I've got to start showing soon.

3) Top Chef - I started watching this show a couple of years ago, and now I'm obsessed. I want it to be on TV every night. I love to cook, and I watch cooking shows religiously, but Top Chef is all about the 5-star restaurant type of food that not only do I not cook, I don't even eat it. However, I love to watch people be creative with food. I love the judges (and isn't Padma the most gorgeous human being...ever?), I love how these contestants work under such stress, I love the fancy food. OK, now I'm hungry...

4) Strawberry Daiquiris - OK, before anyone freaks out, I have NOT had any alcohol since getting pregnant. In fact, I'm not that much of a drinker, but I do like the occasional daiquiri. I think it's because I know I can't have one that makes me so obsessed. I think about them all day and even like to look at pictures of the fruity, frosty beverage. Wow, that's sad.

5) Mexican food - I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And the hotter, the better. I've always enjoyed Mexican food, but lately, it has become an obsession. The other day at work, I had a 5-minute discussion with a co-worker on chalupas. A couple of nights ago, I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner and I had to stop myself from opening a can of refried beans. I knew I needed to eat something a bit more substantial, but all I really wanted were refried beans doused with super-hot sauce. Patrick is getting a bit tired of me making Mexican food for dinner, or requesting we hit a local Mexican restaurant when we go out for dinner. It's so strange.

No comments: