Dec 20, 2007

Happy Birthday, Skie!

Today is my sister's 38th birthday. I got to talk to her tonight for almost an hour - a shocker when you think she has two kids and I called her during the "witching hour."

Some of my favorite memories of my sister:
  1. Building the most awesome forts in our bedrooms during the summer and on winter weekends. We'd hold up the blankets with these monster encyclopedias...inevitably they'd fall on one of us in the middle of the night. And we would giggle until we fell back asleep.


  2. Sitting on the driveway with our coloring books, waiting for my dad to come home from work. I admired my sister, who was creative even back then, and would ask her for advice on what colors to use. Her standard response was, "Any color your heart desires."


  3. Spending the night in my sister's dorm room at Indiana University. I thought I was so cool back then (despite being a shy 16-year old). She introduced me to her friends and all the guys she knew. I was too young for them, but that didn't stop me from forgetting all about those silly high school boys.


  4. Rocking out at the INXS concert at the UIC Pavilion in 1988. We had 20th row seats and we stood on the metal folding chairs and screamed during our favorite songs.


  5. Coming up with the nickname "Skie," a name that we call each other. She's Skie and I'm Skie. It's a name that we've used for...I don't know how many years, and one that somehow morphed from the word "sister." I'm not even going to try to explain it.


  6. Attending our monthly Sunday matinees. Sometimes we'd be the only people in the theatre, but we liked it like that. It was our time together as adults - no boyfriends or husbands. Just the two of us, watching a movie that no one else would want to see with us. We had some of our best conversations as we left the theatre.


  7. Giggling about our inside jokes - some that we've shared since I was 13 and she was 16. "Talkin' to ya' cordless" and "I'll wait for you forevah..." are two of my favorites.

So, happy birthday, Skie. Can't wait to see you in a few days...

No comments: