May 4, 2007

More Bad News

I just received a call from my mom - she never calls during the day while I'm at work, so I knew this was bad. My grandmother has been disoriented and "lost" the last day or so and this morning it got worse. My mom called the doctor who told her that she needs to be admitted to the hospital right away for 2-3 days. They will try to figure out what is happening, but she then will be placed in a nursing home.

Over the past few weeks, we have discussed the possibility of my grandma moving in to an assisted living facility. No one wanted to bring it up to her because she would just say "no", but we all knew that it was necessary - she is not capable of handling daily activities. However, none of us thought that things would happen so fast.

To make matters worse, we are approaching the one-year anniversary of losing my aunt. When my mom called me and I heard her voice crack, I was immediately transported back to those days when my aunt was slipping away. My heart started racing and my head felt funny - kind of tingly.

I know that this is just part of the process of life, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. I've said mean things about my grandma lately and I feel horrible about it.

No comments: