May 8, 2007

Bye ZoZo

Tonight my sister and her family had to put their dog, Zoe (aka ZoZo), to sleep. She was a gorgeous Chocolate Lab, and was only 10 years old. She was diagnosed with cancer about 6 weeks ago and has been declining rather quickly in the past 2 weeks.

She was a fantastic dog and I can so clearly recall that day that I "puppysat" for her when my sister and brother-in-law were at work. I sat up on the floor with my back against the couch and Zoe slept on my legs all day. I never realized that she would grow in to an almost 100-pound dog with the sweetest personality.

I saw her on Easter Sunday, and before I left to go home, I sat with her on the couch. I know it probably sounds silly, but I talked to her - telling her that I loved her and that I would miss her. I only ever loved one other dog - my first and only dog that I had from the ages of 7 - 24 years (yep, for those of you doing the math, I had her for 17 years!).

My niece and nephew are having a hard time with this, but they talk about her and about what she is going through. Vann, my almost 4-year old nephew, said today, "Zoe is going to Heaven tonight." Sad and sweet all at once...

Here is my favorite picture of Zoe. She is in the backyard with a very young Reese (I think she was 2 years old at the time). Reese loved her Zoe and Zoe loved her Reese - so apparent in this fabulous picture taken by my sister:


Love ya' Zo

No comments: