Apr 30, 2007

And Then There Was One...

So here it is, my big news. Just about one hour ago, Patrick and I officially sold our house!! We signed the paperwork, handed over the keys and walked away from a very long and very stressful two and a half years.

28 months. 121 weeks. 850 days. 20,400 hours. 1,224,000 minutes. No matter how you do the math, it was entirely too long.

Last night, Patrick and I went to the house to make sure everything had been removed. We went into our old bedroom and laid on the floor like we used to when our bed was in there. I looked up at the ceiling fan like I did every night - I thought about all we have been through in these past couple of years as we tried to sell the house. I turned to him and told him what I didn't have the heart to tell him before. I told him how hard this has been on me - especially the past 6 months or so. I told him that there were days I never thought we would sell the house. There were moments when I could do nothing but cry. There were times when I felt like I couldn't breathe - each time I made that mortgage payment it felt as if whatever it was that had a grip of my lungs would squeeze tighter and tighter. It was constricting my breath. I was suffocating.

But it's over now. It's finally over. I walked out of the attorney's office and I exhaled. An enormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders and off my mind. I can breathe again. I can live again. I am weightless.

2 comments:

ACE said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

tracyellen said...

It still hasn't sunk in yet, but we're opening that bottle of champagne tonight!!!