Mar 15, 2007

A Completely Shitty Day

My day started out with a 3-hour management meeting at work. I work with some great people, but with all of my deadlines hanging over my head, it was so hard to sit there for so long. It ended at noon, and I came home to focus on my grants. That's when I received a call from my husband informing me that the guy who bought our house and then backed out of the deal, is threatening to sue us to get back his earnest money.

What an asshole.

Before I go any further, I need to warn you that this post will be peppered with colorful language.

So back to this asshole. What the fuck is he thinking? He made an offer on our house, we counter-offered, he made one small counter-offer and we all agreed. Paperwork was signed and an inspection took place. Just as we expected, no structural issues with the house (mind you the house was built in 1926). A few days later, this guy starts to think about how he really wants to remodel the bathroom. Had my husband and I decided to live there, we would have taken on this project, but since we bought a new house and were living in this new house, we didn't think it was a huge deal. The bathroom is a nice size and all the plumbing works. Yes, it could use some new paint and a new sink, but it's still a nice bathroom (and fully functional). So this guy decides that he wants to change his offer. Hello? We already signed the paperwork. Besides, I don't give a shit if you want to turn that bathroom into a fucking museum, that's your problem. My husband owned and lived in that house for 8 years before we put it on the market - nothing was wrong with that bathroom.

To make a long (and painful) story short, based on a remark the home inspector made, he decides to back out of the deal. Now, you need to know that in the home inspection report, the bathroom was described as fully functional. We get a plumber to come in and inspect the situation and write an estimate of what it would cost to convert the plumbing and do all of the remodeling this guy wants done. The total? $950. The nice people we are (and quite desperate to sell the house), we offer to give him $500 toward the estimate. His response? He lowers his offer by $7,000!! My husband's response? Go fuck yourself. OK, he didn't say that to him (as we're going through an agent), but that was sort of our mantra for the next few days.

So now the asshole wants his measly earnest money and I refuse to just give in. The Italian in me is coming out and sometimes that's not a good thing.

Now we have a fight on our hands, but I'm scrappy and I'm up for the challenge.

So bring it on, motherfucker.

No comments: