Apr 10, 2009

My 15 minutes

When I was 20 years old I had a boyfriend that I was absolutely crazy about. He was sort of that brooding wanna-be writer who had travelled the world and was taking time away from college to "find himself." It was summertime and when he would leave work late, he would stop by my parents' house and we'd take these long walks by the lake at the end of our street. We would always stop underneath these tall weeping willows and lay down and talk - those long, philosophical talks you can only have when you're 20 years old. Do you think we'll know each other in 20 years? Why do you think we met? Do you believe in fate? Do you think this is fate?

For the majority of my whole young adulthood I never had a curfew, but my mom was not a very big fan of this boyfriend (maybe it was all of those tattoos - thankfully she never knew he smoked a pack of Camels a day...a habit I wasn't all too fond of myself), so she wanted me home at a certain time. He and I would lay under that tree and talk about life and talk about us and I would dread having to go back home because I loved being with him and at 20 years old, I could have stayed there forever. Eventually, I'd ask him what time it was. He'd check his watch and tell me that we still had another 15 minutes. We would just smile and then giggle and then we'd laugh about how we'd probably just spend the next 15 minutes giggling about how we had 15 minutes left.

That's exactly how I feel when I wake up and everyone else is still asleep in my house. It happened this morning (Griffin's home from day care today since it's Good Friday and I have to go to a meeting at the local United Way office which is right by my house and it's pointless for me to cross the River to go to my office first so I'm hanging out at home for a couple of hours). The same question runs through my head. What should I do? Laundry? Write? Read? Watch TV? Then I realize that I'll probably spend the entire time trying to decide what to do that I won't get a chance to do anything.

Last night I took Griffin for a walk and as he fell asleep I wrote what I thought was a beautiful post in my head and I wanted to write it on paper as soon as I got home, but he woke up and I never did. So this morning, I decided that I would at least get this down on my blog before he woke up. Of course, he woke up as I was typing, but I did it. I still hope to write that other post at some point today before I forget it - I really liked it and it has been something I've been wanting to write for a while and this last night's walk really helped it come full circle.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Oh, and by the way, you are still creative, as evidenced by this post.