Jul 6, 2007

Can I Rant now?

I have been trying to schedule an appointment for my mammogram since 8:15 AM. It is now 11:45 AM and I still am no closer to scheduling one. There was confusion over the order written by the doctor - apparently there is a major difference between a screening mammogram and a diagnostic mammogram. My order says screening, although the doctor added some specific notes on my form. The hospital where I will be getting the mammogram questioned this since those notes (what they found during my initial exam) make this a diagnostic test.

From what I understand a screening mammogram is your basic mammogram - usually one that a woman gets yearly. She goes in, has the test, and then a radiologist will review it within a few days. A diagnostic mammogram is one a woman gets when there is some sort of issue or concern. They schedule these right away and only schedule them when the radiologist is onsite in the hospital.

Anyway, I've been on the phone all morning trying to get information from the hospital to the doctor and vice versa. Now I find out that the hospital never received my order from the doctor's office, so this wonderful nurse I've been dealing with (I need to get her name) has taken matters into her own hands and is calling the doctor's office.

So, I sit here and still have no scheduled appointment. If I wasn't so scared, I'd be really, really pissed...

No comments: