Jan 14, 2007

Weekend Plans

My parents had planned on visiting us this weekend - my mom and I had tickets to see a show on Saturday night (OK, it was "Dancing With the Stars"). I don't watch much reality TV, but somehow managed to get sucked in to this show. Maybe it's because I always wished I could dance. I guess I can dance, but not ballroom dancing.

Anyway, the impending weather - rain/ice/snow/single digit temps - were keeping our plans up in the air. No one really knew exactly when or how bad the weather was going to get. The drive from my parents' house to our house takes about 3 hours, but we were expecting longer if the weather was bad. Turns out that we got a thin sheet of freezing rain and the snow won't be here until tonight/tomorrow morning - just in time for the Monday morning commute.

My parents did end up coming for their visit, and my mom and I attended the show. Had they not come, I had some backups who I would have tried calling to go with me - my friend Shanna, my mother-in-law, and last but not least, my husband's ex-wife. But I got to go with my mom and we had a really good time. As I sat there I thought to myself that I would have had fun no matter who went with me, but it never would have been the same without my mom. I told her as we left the show, "I didn't want to be here with anyone other than you."

They just left - trying to stay ahead of the storm. I miss them.

No comments: