Dec 28, 2006

Saddam Hussein & Peas

Yes, there is a connection between these two. Let me start by saying that I am a very empathetic person - an overly empathetic person. I know that if more people read this blog, I might have to face a bunch of criticism. I know that what I am about to say will probably sound crazy. This story upsets me. I know that what he did was awful - beyond anything I could imagine, but he is still a human being. My husband and I talked about this at dinner tonight. I asked him if I was wrong for feeling bad for Hussein - he said "yes."

My husband does not understand why I am so sympathetic/empathetic. Neither do I. It's just the way I am. I was embarassed to admit this, but I told him that when I was a little girl, 5 or 6 perhaps, I used to get very upset when I scraped my dinner plate into the garbage. Usually, I didn't eat all of my peas, and I thought that they had feelings. I thought they would feel unwanted/unloved if I threw them away. I used to tell them that I was sorry - I was only throwing them away because I was full and NOT because I didn't like them.

Sounds crazy, but I was very young. It's not like I do that now.

So I had sympathy for my peas, and I have sympathy for Saddam Hussein. Maybe this does make me sound crazy, but I can't apologize for who I am.

No comments: