Dec 23, 2006

The Not So Great American Novel

Very few people in my life know that my ultimate dream (aside from running away with "Greg Sanders" from CSI and living a nerdy life in Las Vegas) is to write/publish a novel. I have been reading books since the age of four and have been writing stories, poems, etc. since I was in 3rd grade. I am the ultimate Grammar Geek and love, love, love "Eats Shoots & Leaves." If you have not read this book, please do.

Anyway, I have been "writing" novels in my head for years - while taking a shower, driving to and from work, eating breakfast by myself. I have started a book - there's my big secret. Well, my husband knows, and only one person reads this, so it isn't much of a secret.

My problem is that I have the whole story in my head. I have characters. I compose dialogue while I brush my teeth and fold laundry. I have a tentative title (which I will not reveal at this point). I have even gone as far as writing notes, but I have yet to sit down and write. I find all kinds of excuses - too tired, too much laundry/cleaning, working on other projects, etc. Knowing and understanding my passion for writing, my father gave me a book about the actual act of writing and how we can overcome our mental obstacles. I have learned that I have a fear of rejection. I have a horrible case of perfectionism. The thought that runs through my head regularly is, "Who the hell am I to write a novel?" The best thing I have learned from this book is this:

I have the right to write!
So I will...

No comments: