Feb 22, 2006

What's Up With My Throat?

I woke up this morning with my throat feeling kind of "funny." Not necessarily sore, but it also didn't feel normal. Most people would think only a hypochondriac would grab a flashlight and check out his or her throat. I'm not a hypochondriac, but I did have a horrific case of tonsillitis in January 2005 (and February 2005) that not only felt like swallowing razor blades, but also:

- kept me from sleeping
- made me cry
- made me refuse to swallow my own saliva
- made me actually eat ice cream at 5 AM (and I don't like ice cream!).

So, at 6 AM, I pulled out my flashlight and took a look. Yep, I saw more disgusting white patches/blisters on my left tonsil - I do need to admit that I'm not even sure what a tonsil looks like. Anyway, it was there. This would be the fourth time in one year that this has happened.

To make a long story short, I just got back from the doctor, after enduring another throat culture, just to find out that it is probably just a viral infection. I'm not saying that I wanted it to be strep or tonsillitis, but at least that diagnosis makes sense to me. Should I expect to see these foreign objects in my throat every time I get a virus?

I was told, however, that I can eat "frozen desserts" if that would help. Now only if I was able to eat sugar...

No comments: